Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Snowscape Test

This week, I'm trying a palette of colors and working out different possibilities with the photos I took last Thursday morning. This is an 11x14in canvasboard to test different options. I'm trying to translate color into the experience I had and that morning. I would have painted outdoors, but since my oils are made to work with water, my brushes would turn to ice! I could technically use turp, but then I would have to sit out there and freeze....any excuse to stay out of the cold. There was a very harsh wind coming off the water, so I don't think I could have stood it for more than the time it took to take pictures.

Now, in the comfort of my home, I'm aiming for a dominant neutral palette. French Ultramarine Blue and Cad Orange in various tones. You can see areas on the canvasboard where I did a few swatches of color in the sky to make a comparison. I plopped a few trees here and there to get an idea where I want them. I also tried to mix it up in the foreground with brushstrokes to denote the slush-like quality of the snow. Not too happy with the results yet. More playing around might lead to something.

The more I think about it, I have a feeling that this painting as a finished piece may not be appealing in the least. I guess I want to find out if its something that I can convey effectively. If people get a notion of cold when they look at it, I know I'm getting somewhere!

7 Comments:

Blogger Randy said...

I'm glad sunqinwo liked your article :-)

You should be happy with the painting. It looks cold to me. I even like the multiple colored sky. Keep up the work, you are on the right track.

11:04 AM  
Blogger Stoy Jones said...

Sunqinwo, Randy, thankyou!

4:11 PM  
Blogger Paula Manning-Lewis said...

Hi! I just found your blog thru your comments on Mary's blog. I like this painting, I can definitely feel the cold! I like the darker blue area in the sky too. I have bookmarked your blog and I will be back again!

:)

7:19 AM  
Blogger Stoy Jones said...

Paula, thankyou! Much appreciated. I'm learning about neutral colors as I go. I don't want it to look too lifeless and flat, but it seems to work, so far. A few more things to experiment with and I'll start a stretched canvas sometime soon.

11:30 AM  
Blogger E-J said...

I think it's gorgeous!

So sad you've left the dusty realm of pastels - but our loss is oil painting's gain. It's good to catch up with your work, Stoy.

1:07 PM  
Blogger Anita Davies said...

Stoy this is beautiful. Cold and yet...Inviting!

3:37 PM  
Blogger E-J said...

Hello Stoy. This definitely conveys COLD! We've got several inches of snow here in East Anglia today (don't see that much of it these days) so I was drawn to your post title. :)

5:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home