Thursday, February 01, 2007

How Cold Can it Get?


Cold enough to say we finally got some snow. Not much, but worth heading out early this morning to photograph some reference material. I had to be quick, because of the rising temperatures melting off the ground cover. Still quite a gloomy and cold day which will make painting contrast difficult. I'm already formulating possibilities to overcome the flat appearance and lack of color and light. I may draw from several of my shots and sketch a complete lanscape and work out a palette in muted cool colors.

The above shot was a surprise to find. The below gives you a good indication of what it was like out there today..brrrr!

4 Comments:

Blogger Randy said...

I guess that's cold for Tennessee. We finally got some cold weather here in Connecticut. And finally enough ice the go ice fishing. I'll be hitting the hard water this weekend.

Anyway, good luck with the low contrast pictures. As I said before I think you did a great job painting the snow scene. Snow is tough to capture properly. I haven't had much luck with it myself. I have a few winter pictures on the back burner that I want to get to. But I'll probably use charcoal or graphite to avoid color. (I know, I'm a wimp)

11:05 AM  
Blogger Mary said...

Stoy, excellent photographs and I know they will be turned into either a beautiful painting or drawing from you.

It is cold in sunny Mexico but no snow!

6:14 PM  
Blogger Stoy Jones said...

Thanks Randy and Mary! I'm taking advantage of the seasons as much as I can. We don't get snow here all that often, but we have had one really bad storm in 97. This one was pretty much melted off by the evening, so I had to start early.

4:09 PM  
Blogger Anita said...

I love the sepia looking photo - superb! As I sit here in 106 degree weather its amazing to look at those icicles!

12:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home