Tuesday, January 09, 2007

First Painting in a While


Taking a few clues from Margaret Kessler's book "Painting Better Landscapes", I practiced foliage...how exciting. I say that jokingly. It's difficult to understand the thrill of a tree until you look at it differently and actively duplicate it in technique. This exercise was very fun and I'm pleased with the results. The first few "sketches" I produced from my imagination and the second piece, a palm, was done from a photo.



The basic technique relies on building up a form or overall shape of a tree with a thinned wash of oil paint, mapping out darks and lights. Next, I apply a local or base color in a middle value with a slightly thicker wash. Now, I add mixes of dark and light colors, involving temperatures, to fill out the form with thick paint in a series of dabs and strokes depending on the nature of the tree's personality. I did the exercises directly on a white surface, so the values in the sky are not all that consistent. In anycase, it gives me plenty of ideas on how to proceed with a full piece where I would work on a toned surface to have background colors show through.

3 Comments:

Blogger Anita said...

Great to see you back posting, Stoy! You've been missed! Nothing like sitting out there and painting a tree - really looking at the texture of the bark, the shape of the foliage, the colours. One of these days I will get out and do that myself!

10:49 PM  
Blogger Mary said...

Stoy, nice to see your work again. I had missed viiting your bog.

4:41 PM  
Blogger Stoy Jones said...

Anita and Mary, thankyou! That is one of my goals this year (that I forgot to mention) is to paint plein-aire and with confidence. I get information overload when I tried it last year. By learning a few techniques and how to look at the landscape differently, I won't struggle so much this coming year. Now, I'm waiting for spring and summer to arrive!

8:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home