Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Happy New Year!

I have been away far too long! Now that Christmas and New Years have come to a close, I can get back to business of creating! Perhaps this calls for a New Year's resolution, but not anything I can't stick too. Surely I can make more of an effort to keep my practice up. Looking back on 2006, I have been very blessed. For a start, a few paintings have been completed and many more varnished from a previous year. I stayed busy sketching and hunting for references and even attended a spring show and an openshow. That is until my son's fall break from school and following family obligations and other distractions put a halt to all that.

The worst of it happened when our apartment complex and city both made numerous repairs and upgrades to the property very early in the morning like at the crack of dawn. I work a late shift and turn in by two in the morning, so for a good two months, I was a walking zombie. When I don't have enough rest, I don't draw or paint. I rely on a good night's sleep and a clear mind for my best efforts, so I didn't bother to force it.

Looking forward now, there is a list of things I would like to accomplish in no particular order. One, continue my practice on landscapes. There are a few techniques on painting foliage that I would like to have a go at. I got a lot of references that literally beg to be painted, so I have much enthusiasm for that. The autumn was beautiful this year, so that will be something I look forward to posting! When I'm bogged down with life, I will try harder not to worry about painting and sketch or draw more. I noticed I tend to neglect the small stuff sometimes...not this year and that will lead hopefully to more blogging! :) As a last item, I would like to try painting from some of my previous drawings and sketches. One of them I might try I posted below. This piece was done a few years ago from life in charcoal. Not the best photo, since it was done on newsprint, but you get the idea. The challenge here will be to work out a palette not only from my memory, but to be a little more creative and "create" my own palette to suit the color scheme and mood from a black and white image. I always wanted to try that and hadn't so far, so this year might offer an opportunity. Here's to a New Year!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home