Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Second Try, Autumn in Oil


Here's another attempt on a canvasboard of the same dimension of an autumn scene I picked up from the Wetcanvas reference library. I think it has much more possibilities than the previous scene, far more appealing too. Maybe I'm not working hard to find the right green! I don't kid myself, the palette for this is easier, more straight forward. In anycase, what really interest me with this particular scene is the way the light changes. Leaves are translucent allowing some light to pass through and creating an illuminating color. This reference has a lot of that and I have seen many trees in East Tennessee look this way on a clear day, so the effect is very recognizable to me.

I'll stop here and will begin the scene again on a stretched canvas for a complete painting. Working these things out on canvasboards frees me up to not feel obligated to finish something I may not be doing well on. When I do something that seems to click, I have no problems finding enthusiasm to start fresh. It won't be an immediate start. I have other pending business this week and will find time to fit some drawing in.

2 Comments:

Blogger Mary said...

Stoy this is a very beautiful image, filled with sentiment and the colors you are using I think are perfect for this.

6:56 PM  
Blogger Stoy Jones said...

Thanks Mary! I'm looking forward to posting the update very soon, which will show some progress on the stretched canvas version. I'm using this as a guide, so I hope this translates well onto the new support.

6:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home